Sloppy joe days were always a big deal at my school growing up. That's why this recipe seemed like a perfect fit for back to school week. If your vegan kid is curious about this whole sloppy joe phenomenon, or if you just want to relive some nice childhood memories, you can always enjoy this compassionate version of an American favorite.
PS: Real Man-wiches are kind to animals!
- 2 Cups Match Vegan Meats Ground Beef (You can substitute 2 cups of any vegan ground beef, but like I said, I'd go with either Tempeh or the Match.)
- 1/2 Large Red Onion (diced)
- 1/3 Cup Celery (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon Braggs
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 Small Tomato (diced)
- Dash Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Cup Catsup (This time I strongly suggest going organic and high quality with the Catsup; less sugar and cheap vinegar.)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Olive Oil for cooking
- 6 Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns (toasted)
In your brave little cast iron skillet, cook your Vegan Beef in 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil on a medium heat. Once you start to see slightly crispy edges on the Vegan Beef, toss the Onion, Bell Peppers, Celery and Tomato in and continue to cook over a medium heat. You may want to add another teaspoon of Olive Oil if you see the Vegetables sticking. Once the Vegan Beef is brown and the Vegetables begin to get tender, add the remaining ingredients except the Hamburger Buns. Simmer for around 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the Vegetables are the desired level of tender.
Fill the Hamburger Buns with the Sloppy Joe Mix and get out a bib... because these guys are just as messy as they are freaking delicious.
Post a Comment