This recipe is basically a Shepherd's Pie, with a light Tex-Mex Chili and a Tater-Tot top... oh, and there's a layer of Daiya Pepperjack Cheese in there too. When it gets served up, you get a whole bunch of spicy beans and vegetables with a few cheesy crispy tots. So you can enjoy your tater tots again, but in moderation. So ya know, no guilt... especially if you use these organic tots.
Let's get tatered!
Texas Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 Can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 Can Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 14oz Cans Diced Tomatoes (Mexican Style)
- 3/4 Cup Frozen Corn
- 1-2 Fresh Jalapenos (sliced - how much you add depends on how hot you want it to be)
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1/2 Orange Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro (diced)
- 1/2 Red Onion (diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Braggs
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Hot Sauce (you can add more if you want more heat)
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 Pinches of Paprika
- 1 1/2 Cups Daiya Vegan Pepperjack Cheese (shredded)
- 2 Cups Frozen Tater Tots
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except Daiya and Tater Tots. Put the Chili mix into a casserole dish. Then sprinkle an even layer of Daiya over that and then an even layer of Tater Tots over that.
Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes or until your Tater Tots are a sweet golden brown.