Last night was also a big night for anyone who has ever loved The Celtics* or loves anyone who fits that description. They swept the New York Knicks in the playoffs and made all those New Englanders proud yet again. I could bore you with rants about my job, the move, boxes, learning to drive a stick or even chatter about getting to see my friends' baby this weekend. I won't do that. Last year we celebrated the Celtics kick ass in the playoffs with Big Baby Vegan Hot Wings... This year we're going to veganize a different sports bar favorite : Popcorn Chicken - Creole Spice Popcorn Chicken actually.
Super easy and fast and perfect for a kitchen in flux that has limited access to gadgets. So what are we waiting for? Let's do this...
Vegan Creole Spice Popcorn Chicken (this recipe is also good for just fried chicken or even chicken-fried steak etc. just change what you batter and fry)
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Creole Spice
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup Nutritional Yeas
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 3 or 4 Dashes of Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon Braggs
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 Package Vegan Chicken (cut into bite sized pieces - we used Lightlife Vegan Chicken Smart Strips which are the perfect size and shape. You can also use Gardein, Morningstar Strips (read you labels to make sure you get the vegan ones) or form Match Vegan Meat Vegan Chicken into small strips)
- 3 1/2 Cups Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- Your favorite sauces to dip them in like Sweet & Sour, BBQ or Mustard
In a large bowl, mix together the Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Creole Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Flour, and Nutritional Yeast in a deep bowl with a whisk.
In a separate bowl, dilute the Dijon Mustard, Liquid Smoke, Braggs with 1/2 cup Water.
Put your Oil for frying into a deep pot and heat on high.
Add1/3 cup of the Flour mixture to the Mustard mixture and blend with a whisk till it is completely blended. Add the Baking Powder to the dry Flour mixture and mix.
Dip chunks of the Vegan Chicken into the Mustard batter, then drop each chunk into the flour mixture and coat with the desired amount of "crust." You can do these one at a time or by the handful - depending on how big the bowl and strips are.
Then using a slotted spoon slowly drop them into the hot Oil. You want to make sure they don't stick the side or each other. Then fry till they are a nice golden brown.
Serve with your favorite sauce for dipping and a cold beverage because these biddies aren't just hot - they're pretty spicy too!
* It was kinda sad to see those Knick play their hearts out for the first few games only to lose by a basket here and there.