You'll be eating this for dinner for a week. Which also makes it perfect for this time year - when your nights are full of wrapping presents, writing out Holiday cards, baking cookies and drinking huge mugs of vegan chai or cocoa. We've been reheating bowls of this for days and it's been a nice break.
Oh and if you're wondering why I called it the Green Monsta since it kinda has nothing to do with Boston or The Red Sox... Well... Much like the mild mannered yet highly intelligent Bruce Banner this casserole may not look like much but stick it in the microwave and shoot a little radiation at it and it is unstoppable and kinda ugly.
The Incredible Green Monsta Casserole (or the Spinach-Bacon-Chicken Casserole depending on how you feel about the Marvel universe)
- 1 Package Whole Wheat Pasta Shells, Macaroni or Rigatoni
- 6 Tablespoons Margarine
- 3 Tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Cups Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Broth (made per directions on the package)
- 3/4 Cup Almond Milk
- 2 Dashes of Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Tony Chachere Creole Seasoning
- 2 Cups Your Favorite Vegan Chicken (cooked and cubed - we used the last of our HUGE May Wah bag, bit I think Gardein, Match Vegan Meats, LightLife Smart Strips or Morningstar Chicken Strips would be just as great if not better)
- 3/4 Cup Sun-dried Tomatoes (sliced)
- 6 Slices of Vegan Bacon (fried and diced - we used LightLife's Smart Bacon but I think Smoked Tempeh would be really good)
- 1 Tablespoon Braggs
- 1 Tablespoon White Wine
- 1 Clove Garlic (minced)
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Parsley (diced)
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Green Beans
- 3/4 Cup Frozen Broccoli
- 1 Cup Chopped Fresh Kale
- 1 Cup Fresh Spinach Leaves (small)
- 3 Tablespoon Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Green Onions (diced)
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
Heat oven to 350.
Cook and drain Pasta per directions on the package.
In a large saucepan, melt Margarine over a low heat. Then whisk in Flour and Nutritional Yeast till it is completely blended. Gradually stir in Broth. Turn up heat to a medium heat and bring to a boil. Use your whisk to mix this thoroughly. With your whisk mix in White Wine, Almond Milk, Creole Seasoning, Braggs, Liquid Smoke, Black Pepper and Garlic. Let simmer for no longer than a minute.
In a large bowl, toss Pasta, Peas, Green Beans, Parsley, Broccoli, Kale, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Bacon Pieces, Chicken Cubes and Spinach Leaves. Then pour in 3/4 of the Sauce and gently mix with a spoon.
Spray a lasagna dish with Olive Oil Cooking Spray and fill with the Vegetable, Pasta and Sauce mix. Then Pour the remaining Sauce over the top. Sprinkle the Vegan Parmesan Cheese over the top. Put in the oven and bake for 20 -25 minutes. remove when the top is a golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.
When you serve it sprinkle some Green Onions over the top.