I can't remember the first time I had what I call Green Sauce but I do remember in like the 90s* having it at a restaurant once where it was called 'Faux Moray 'and thinking "Green Sauce is freaking amazing stuff. What can't Green Sauce do?" I mean in a world where everything just seems to be harder than it should be, here is this totally vegan sauce that is super easy to make and is so delicious it'll make you do this when you eat it.
This video was such a hit at Ol' Fort Shannon. We make this noise sometimes while we eat and then giggle like kids. Kittens are cute.
We tossed some Torfurky Italian sausage in the oil to give it a bit more flavor and because it's delicious.
Pasta in Fresh Basil Green Sauce
- 1 Package Whole Wheat Angel Hair
- 1 Package Torfurky Italian Sausage (sliced into coins)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/3 Cup Raw Spinach Leaves (torn into big pieces)
- 1/4 Cup Raw Kale (chopped into big pieces)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil (keep a few extra leaves to toss on top)
- 2 Ripe Avocados
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 teaspoons Onion Powder
- Pinch of Turmeric
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1 Can Garbanzo Beans
- 1/4 Cup Peas (cooked - defrosted or canned works too)
- 2 teaspoons Braggs
- 1/3 Cup White Wine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
In your BFF cast iron skillet, heat Olive Oil on a medium heat. Once the Oil is hot, brown your Tofurky Sausage slices until they have crispy edges. Turn down the heat to a low simmer. Toss in Red Pepper Flakes, Kale and Spinach and cook on a low heat. Once the Spinach becomes tender, remove from heat.
While your Sausage is cooking, put Basil, Avocado, Nutritional Yeast, Onion Powder, Turmeric, Garlic, Beans, Peas, Braggs and White Wine in your food processor and blend until smooth.
Toss your pasta in your skillet with the Sausage and Vegetables. Toss your Pasta a few times so it gets an even coating of Oil and everything gets mixed in. Then toss the Pasta in a large mixing bowl and then toss in the Avocado Mix. Once everything is blended, toss some extra Basil on top and you're ready to eat!
I recommend getting some bread so you can clean your plate and get all the sauce... or else you end up licking your plate like a savage. Which can be fun too.
* Green Sauce is like Garth Brooks somehow - I just don't know how right now but it worked for me this morning. Green Sauce makes "us all believers".