If you're furiously flipping through your copy of Betty's Big Red, I'll spare you the paper cuts. This started as French Silk pie, but a series of events fell into place and helped this pie come into it's own. First, I found chocolate vegan pie crusts that were marked half-off. They're made by Wholly Wholesome and are kinda wonderful. So pie crust switch - check. Then I started to make the cream filling, and it was so lovely and sweet. It felt like it needed a dark side... like how Wesley in Buffy was a pale shadow of the dreamboat Dark Wesley in Angel. So I went back to our Devil's Food Cake recipe and added a little coffee. Filling switch - check. We skipped the coconut whipped cream to keep it chocolate on chocolate. Pure super chocolate cocoa fantastical - check. We now we have a super easy and creamy and awesome pie that will make you swoon.
I hope you have someone around to fetch you those vapors...
|It's is very creamy on the inside, but watch out for air bubbles - They ruin the look of your pie even if you can't taste them.|
Vegan Mocha Cream Pie
- 1 Chocolate Cookie Pie Crust
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Oil Spread (you can use Margarine if you can't find the coconut spread - either way it needs to be softened)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Instant Coffee
- 1/2 Teaspoon Agave Nectar
- 3 ozs Unsweetened Baking Chocolate (melted and cooled to room temperature)
- 1 Package Silken Tofu (drained)
- Dark Chocolate (shredded)
You really need to store in the fridge - especially if you live in Brooklyn where it's so hot the sun is jealous we're stealing his thunder.