As many of you who follow me on ye ol' social networking pages are painfully aware, I have recently fallen in love with Doctor Who. Don't worry, I won't bore you with nerd rants about Donna* and which Doctor is dreamiest... but instead I'm going to tell you about something else I think is cool.
Doctor Who has a spin off series called Torchwood. I would describe it as the BBC version of the SyFy TV show Sanctuary, but that's also not what I'm going to talk about today. I'm here to talk heroes. The dashing hero of Torchwood is a character named Capt. Jack Harkness and he is openly bisexual. He's probably the biggest flirt in any time or space, but he also talks fondly about past boyfriends, kisses men, and has a complicated relationship with one of his male teammates. In the sci-fi universe there have historically always been issues with a lack of ethnic diversity and women with more realistic body types, but let's be honest here.. there is almost never a hero who is not heterosexual**. Which is kinda strange, considering how many epic love stories are part of the sci-fi genre. So let's be honest: we are way overdo for Capt. Jack Harkness***.
Better late than never I guess. Which brings us back to this salad. I'm posting this too late to bring to a BBQ or picnic last weekend, but the great thing about summer is there's always another get-together coming up. Or you can always make this and keep it all to yourself. Either way... YOU WIN!
Basil Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Basil Leaves (fresh and chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano Leaves (fresh and chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Braggs
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic (minced)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Package Whole Wheat Succhietto Pasta (uncooked)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Can Garbanzo Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 Tofurky Italian Sausages (cut into coins)
- 1 Cup Raw Kale (diced into bite sized pieces)
- 1/4 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1/2 Cup Sun-dried Tomatoes (thinly sliced and packed in oil)
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives
- 1/2 Cup Spanish Olives (we got some stuffed with Garlic)
- 1/4 Cup Green Olives (stuffed with pimentos)
- 1 Cup Artichoke Hearts (marinated)
- 1 Cup Asparagus (marinated - we couldn't find any that weren't kinda gross so we didn't add them this time)
- 2 teaspoon Capers
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil (sliced)
- 5-6 Pepperoncinis
- 4 Lemons (cut into wedges)
- 1 teaspoon Daiya Vegan Mozzarella Cheese per serving
Put your hot Pasta into a large mixing bowl and toss with Olive Oil, Kale, Garbanzo Beans and Tofurky Italian Sausage. Cover with foil and refrigerate for 1 hour. Then toss with the remaining ingredients except Dressing, Lemons, Pepperoncinis and Daiya. Cover with foil again and refrigerate for another 2 hours so the flavors can blend. Pull your salad out every half hour to toss. This keeps some of the smaller ingredients like Capers from bunching at the bottom of the bowl. After 2 hours, mix in Dressing and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Squeeze Lemon wedges and sprinkle the Daiya over the top before you serve and toss in a few Pepperoncinis. I would suggest also investing in a case of San Pelligrinos****... also good with lemon wedges.
* If you're watching Doctor Who: don't give up on Donna. She has become one of my very favorite sci-fi characters of all time.
** No, I haven't forgotten about Willow and Tara from Buffy.
*** John Barrowman (the actor who plays Captain Jack) is also a real-life activist for the UK group Stonewall, a LGBT advocacy group. Which is also cool.
**** My very favorite favorite thing.
This looks and sounds divine!!!ReplyDelete
De-lurkifying to say that I *totally* agree with your footnote about Donna!ReplyDelete
I love Donna! and David Tennant will always be my doctor. So, I never ever thought I would like Matt Smith but he is a great Doctor - and Amy Pond is an awesome companion.ReplyDelete
yummm!!! ive been craving a dish with olives.ReplyDelete
This looks so delish!!!!!!!!!ReplyDelete