Rueben Sandwich (This is the ingredients for one sandwich that is baked)
- 1,000 Island Dressing (add as much as you like - Recipe Below)
- Sauerkraut (add as much as you like. I like to drain some of the brine off but I know some people like it juicier so that is also a judgment call)
- 2 Slices of Rye Bread
- 3-5 Slices of Sheese Smoked Cheddar Vegan Cheese ( this stuff is AMAZING! Dan and I usually get it to have with crackers and fruit and bottle of wine. The Smoked Cheddar is our very favorite.)
- 6-8 Slices of Peppered Tofurky Deli Slices
- 2 Tablespoons of Braggs
1,000 Island Dressing
- 1 Cup of Grapeseed Oil Vegannaise (any Vegannaise would work but we prefer this one)
- 1 Tablespoon of Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons of Sweet Pickle Relish
- 2 Tablespoons of Texas Pete Hot Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon of Red Onion (chopped)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 2 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
Heat oven to 250.
In a small bowl mix all the 1,000 Island Dressing ingredients and store tightly covered in the fridge till you're ready to serve.Put the slices of Rye Bread in the oven to dry out the bread a little to help keep it from getting soggy.
Put Braggs in a shallow bowl and dip Tofurky Deli Slices in it to give it a but more of a corned beef/pastrami flavor.
Take Rye Bread out of the oven and stack one slice with Tofurky Deli Slices and Sheese Slices. Sheese on top. Put both slices of Rye Bread back in oven. Turn oven up to 350. Remove from the oven in about 5 minutes - when the bread is a desired toasty-ness and the Sheese is melted.
Put 1,000 Island Dressing on the slice with no Tofurky Deli Slices and Sauerkraut on the side with. Put them together. You now have a vegan version of one the greatest deli sandwiches ever!
But really anybody who has ever walked off the C train knows - you need a slaw to really make it work.
- 1/2 Cup of Grapeseed Oil Vegannaise (the Grapeseed Oil is just a preference any Vegannaise would work)
- 1/4 Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 3 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 3 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Braggs
- 3/4 Teaspoon Lemon Pepper
- 4 1/2 Cups of Cabbage (thinly chopped)
- 1/2 Cup of Carrot (shredded)
- 1/2 of Red Onion (chopped)
In a very large bowl mix all the ingredients except Cabbage, Carrots and Red Onion with a hand mixer until completely blended. Add remaining ingredients and toss till everything is evenly coated. Cover and store in the fridge for at least an hour. Stir again before serving.
Then put on an all time favorite movie - a Ghostbusters or True Romance - and enjoy how awesome life can be.