Think back to some of your favorite memories from when you were a little eater... I'm pretty sure these 2 words are in there somewhere: PIZZA PARTY!
So the other day I was feeling a little down, and needless to say, I decided it was time to have another party. So this week, we threw a vegan pizza party starring Betty's Ranchero Pizza. This is one of those recipes where Betty has to show folks how to use pre-made ingredients to their full potential, so it takes like 30 minutes to make tops. It’s also one of those recipes that makes you want to dance around with your grrl-friends all Wanda Jackson style... So get your comfy shoes on and let's get started. Click here for some BBQ-pie-making music.
- 1 Package Ready to Serve Pizza Crust (We used Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Pizza Crust, but I checked and most of the ones at our local grocery store were vegan too!)
- 2 Cups Daiya Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 2 Cups BBQ Vegan Mock Meat (We used Citrus Spare Ribs, but there’s also LightLife's Smart BBQ, Morningstar Farms Riblets, Gardein's Beefless Tips, or your favorite mock meat mixed with about 5 Tablespoons of your favorite BBQ Sauce)
- 1/2 Small Red Onion (sliced into rings)
- 3 Tablespoons of your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Flour for the surface you’re rolling your Pizza Dough on
- Corn Meal for the pizza stone or cookie sheet
Heat oven per instructions on the Pizza Dough package.
Roll the Pizza Dough out on a floured surface until it makes a circle that is the desired size for your pizza. Very gently, move Pizza Dough onto your pizza stone that has a been dusted with Corn Meal. Make a little mound along the outside of the Pizza Dough to make a crust for your pie.
Brush the BBQ Sauce onto the Pizza Dough inside the pie part. Be careful to not get too much on the crust... it can tend to turn a weird brown color when baking. Then lay down a thin layer of the Daiya Cheese and then follow with the BBQ Mock Meat and then add the rest of the Daiya Cheese. Take the rings of Red Onion and place where you want them for the desired slices later.
Put in the oven and bake until Daiya Cheese is melted and Crust is a golden brown.. You’ll need to check your Pizza Dough package to get a ballpark on that. Ours took around 20 minutes. Also, thicker crusts take longer, so that is also something to consider. Another good tip is if you’ re unsure, use a spatula to GENTLY check the bottom of your pizza. You'll know right away if it doesn't look and feel done.
Scene from The Pizza Party starring Betty's Ranchero Pizza, Mexican Pizza and a White Pizza from YNot also featuring Beer.