This one was a big hit around here and is going to be a regular for Sunday Brunch... I recommend making some toast to go with it.
Vegan Bacon & 3 Cheese Frittata
- 1 Package Tofu (just get the regular Tofu - don't go Silken)
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Coffee Creamer
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Miso Paste
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 Teaspoon Braggs ( If you like Black Salt for "egg" recipes - you can substitute the Braggs for 1/4 Teaspoon of Black Salt if that's your bag)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Paprika
- Pinch of Lemon Pepper
- Dash of Liquid Smoke
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil for cooking
- 5 Pieces of Vegan LightLife Smart Bacon or Smoked Tempeh
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1/2 Red Onion (diced)
- 1/3 Cup Daiya Vegan Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1/3 Cup Daiya Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- 1/3 Cup Smoked Cheddar Sheese (shredded)
- Diced Fresh Chives or Parsley for topping
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- Tony Chacere's Creole Seasoning - to taste
In a food processor, blend Tofu, Soy Coffee Creamer, Nutritional Yeast Flakes, Corn Starch, Onion Powder, Cumin, Miso Paste, Tumeric, Braggs and Paprika until you get a smooth paste. Here's where you can taste this blend to see if you want more salt or add some pepper. I tossed a pinch of Lemon Pepper into one of the batches at this step and really liked it.
Now spray your skillet down with the Olive Oil Cooking Spray. Now pour The Tofu Blend in the center of the skillet and roll your wrist to spread our your Tofu Egg Blend. You want it to be spread out like a nice even pancake. If should fill your skillet. You have to move pretty fast so it spreads smoothly. If you find you didn't move fast enough, you can always use a spatula to spread the Tofu Blend out evenly.
Let the Tofu Blend fry for around 3 minutes. During that time use your spatula to keep loosening the edges. Once the edges begin to brown and get crispy - very gently use your spatula to lift and check the progress of the Frittata. You want Your Frittata be golden and crispy so make sure you can see that beginning to happen before you toss on your Fillings. Don't worry if the top is still a soft. IN fact it is kinda good - the toppings with cook into the Tofu Egg Blend. Spread your Vegan Bacon pieces over your cooking Tofu Egg Blend. Then sprinkle an even layer of Daiya Cheddar and then another one of Sheese. Make an even layer of the Veggie Blend and then Sprinkle the rest of your vegan Cheese. Now - cover your skillet and let cook for another minute. if your skillet doesn't have a lid - you can always use an oven safe plate. You'll want to check on it a little to make sure the Vegan Cheese is melting. Cook for another 2 minutes. Keep an eye on your edges and make sure they don't burn.
|Your edges should look like this.|
*Thank you Baby Jesus for creating On Demand so I can also watch SyFy channel's Face Off. Yeah, it gets a little gross but the nerdarina can't get enough of it. How cool was their Zombie Challenge last night?