OK enough gushing . . . more eating. . .
- 1 Package of Firm Tofu (Drained and cut into 6 pieces - Steaks - with a serrated knife to give it the "fish" texture on the sides)
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Braggs
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vegan Worcester Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Seasame Oil
- 3 Teaspoons Ginger (minced)
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Sheet in Dehydrated Seaweed ( if you would like a fisher flavor)
- 1/2 Cup Veganaise
- 2 Teaspoons Wasabi (Some folks don't eat sushi so they might not know what this is - you can get it at most grocery stores. It comes in a very bright green paste)
- 2 Teaspoons of Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon of Sesame Seeds per Tofu Steak - 6 total
Place the Tofu Steaks in a casserole dish that will fit all the Tofu Steaks but isn't so large that when you pour the Marinade Mix in you won't completely cover the Tofu Steaks. Mix Olive Oil, Braggs, Brown Sugar, Worcester Sauce, Sesame Oil, and Ginger in a bowl with a hand mixer till Sugar is dissolved. Add Garlic and pour the Marinade Mix over the Tofu Steaks. I let this sit for an hour and half but in the future I will marinate them for 2 hours because this Marinade Mix was pretty amazing and I just want as much of it as I can possibly get. Also if you want a very pronounced fishy flavor you will want to break up a sheet of Dehydrated Seaweed in the Marinade Mix.
While the Tofu Steaks are marinating, mix the Veganaise, Wasabi and Lemon Juice with a hand mixer. This is your Aioli - Just set it aside for later.
Heat oven to 400.
On a lined cookie sheet, place the Tofu Steaks on the sheet - close but not touching. Pour 1/2 Teaspoon of the Marinade Mix over each Tofu Steak. Put in the oven for 15 minutes. Then take them out, flip them and pour another 1/2 Teaspoon of the Marinade Mix over each Tofu Steak. Then let bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Now this is important : The extra Marinade Mix will burn on the foil. You will have large pools of black stuff but that doesn't mean your Tofu Steak is burning. . . Of course you will want to check to make sure the burnt Marinade doesn't spread to your Tofu Steak but please don't freak out if you start to see black stuff on the foil. Pull the Tofu Steaks out when they are baked to a golden brown.
Serve with the Wasabi Aioli on the side and sprinkled with Sesame Seeds.
The Broccoli Side takes about 10 minutes to make. We did it while the Tofu Steaks were baking. Just an FYI - we used the Betty recipe - but you can put this Sesame Butter over frozen microwaved broccoli or steamed broccoli - whatever - and it would be just as awesome.
Sesame Buttered Broccoli
- 1 1/2 lb Fresh Broccoli (cut into florets)
- 2 Tablespoons Margarine (melted)
- 2 Tablespoons Braggs
- 1 Teaspoons of Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Onion Powder
In a 2 quart saucepan, heat 1 inch of water to a boil. Add Broccoli. Boil uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes or until they reach a desired tenderness. Drain as much of the water out as you can.
In a small bowl, stir the remaining ingredients until they are completely mixed. Pour the Butter Mix over the Broccoli once it is on the plate.
*Sorry if you were offended by The Berserker Song. It makes me laugh. I listened to a lot of bad music in my youth.