(The photo is of Chickn -n- Biscuits* - See below)
- 2 premade frozen pie crusts - deep dish (they have vegan versions in most grocery stores - check labels of the generic ones. I would say they are the best bet. Most packages come with 2 crusts.)
- 2 packages Morning Star Chikn Strips - fried up with some olive oil and the ol’ liquid smoke till it gets a bit crispy
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 large potatoes - cubed and boiled
- 2 stalks of celery - sliced
- 1 batch of vegan gravy :
1/2 Cups unbleached white flour
1/2 Cups nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 cups un-chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
3 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning or 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
Toast the flour and nutritional yeast in the oil until it starts to brown. Stir in the broth until there are no lumps. Stir in soy sauce/tamari, poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, garlic powder, celery seed, parsley and black pepper. Heat till it thickens and starts to boil.
* This can get a bit salty if it gets too salty for you - you can adjust it with some soy milk for a creamy sauce or nutritional yeast for a thicker gravy. Sometimes I also add crushed garlic or diced onions for a little extra something.
To make the the pie:
Follow directions on the package of Pie Crusts. Bake one Pie Crust till lightly golden brown - defrost the other crust and gently pull from the tin and flatten out. When you pull out the baked crust leave the oven on.
Make Gravy, add Veggies and fake chickn and simmer on a low heat till it begins to bubble. At this point taste the mixture and see if it needs Salt, Pepper and/or Soy Sauce. Fill the baked Pie Crust with Filling Mixture(You are going to have a bunch left over - see *note below). Place flat raw Pie Crust on top and take fork to seal the top crust down onto the bottom Pie Crust. Take knife and cut a small X in the center of the top raw Pie Crust. Put the finished pie back in the oven and let bake till it is a nice golden brown.
Eat Chicken Free Pot Pie and Be Happy!
*There is not usually enough Filling Mixture leftover for another pie - BUT - put the leftover Fake Chickn Gravy mixture in small casserole dish and bake with some biscuits on top and you’re good!